Friday, August 21, 2009

Work All Day All Night, Trying to get fly

The red velvet cake I was talking about in the last post was a success!! I would post photos, but they didn't come out as glamourous as I would have liked, because of poor lighting/old ass camera, but rest assured it was delicious. Quote from Patrick: "It's like eating a slice of heaven. Best red velvet cake I've ever had." Quote from Patrick's Mom: "It's one of the best ever. And the frosting! I love it."
So all in all, a success.

This week, I, like Alisha, have been getting myself ready for the new school year. The new graduate school year. I feel very important saying this. If you had told me three years ago that I would be going to graduate school this soon, I would be suspect. I'm not really sure what I thought of doing for a real job as a junior in college, but I don't think I would have ever thought about being in grad school, for education, no less. There I was, thinking about being a Psychology star (year right) and preparing myself for a life of spanish speaking. On the bright side of this carrer change business (I must interject to say that I have always wanted to be a teacher and just got sidetracked for five years and am now back where I belong), every class I took as an undergrad, with possibly the exception of Place and Time in Jewish and Israeli Thought and Ceramics, will have an affect on me becoming a teacher. Psychology is important in every trade and market, which is why I think there are so many different forms of it. Spanish is becoming ever important in this day and age, and if I choose to get middle school certified (which I am planning on), I can teach Spanish, which is one of my original, very exciting life goals.

I don't know. I'm excited and I'm scared. Going to Loyola is different; at Orientation for the School of Education, no one sat next to me. I didn't meet anyone. No one talked to me. When we broke out into individual groups by program, I sat down next to someone's stuff and when they came back in the room, they moved away from me. This has never happened to me before. Usually, when people first meet me, we talk. I make a joke. They laugh. They decide in their head that they want to be my friend. And then bam! It is done. The fact that this is not how it is is strange for me. Maybe people don't make friends in grad school. I don't know. It was depressing. On top of that, my money is getting pretty low. So much so that I can't buy books until Tuesday or Wednesday. I have class on Wednesday. I have reading due on Wednsday. This has never been my life. So it's all just different.

But really, I'm not complaining. At least I don't think I am. I am happy, I am hanging out with people and enjoying my time off and watching my boyfriend play softball and eating good food when I can. So it's still all good.

No comments: