Monday, April 6, 2009

Flashing....Lights

I took off work today so that I could watch the opening day game of The Chicago White Sox. However, because it snowed, the game was postponed. Sadface, for sure. However, there was a Hills marathon on and I cleaned my room, so really. I guess it worked out.

So, I got netflix back because I have no friends/no life and the first two discs I received were How I Met Your Mother Season 1 Disc 1 and "Tyler Perry's The Family that Preys." While I was super excited for How I met Your mother (really, it is quite hilarious), I was iffy on The Family that Preys. I got it becuase it looked different than other Tyler Perry films (aka NO Madea) and I really like Sanaa Latham because she's really pretty. I also did not know Taraji P. Henson was in it, and I love her as well.
However, watching this film, which was not even more tahn two hours, was really rough. It started off slow, and there was lots of business speak. The movie was about a white family and a black family, which I resented from the very beginning because (shocker) the white family was SUPER rich and the black family was poor. Wow. Way to write outside the box Tyler Perry. There were also a lot of sterotypes that I thought for some reason Tyler Perry would ignore. I was wrong. Sanaa Latham was the angry bitchy black woman and her sister, Taraji P. Henson, was sassy and had a soft spoken husband, who was Mr. Perry himself. Also, Sanaa Latham was having an affair with the head executive of her company, the son of the rich white family. And on, and on, and on. Something about Perry's movies rub me the wrong way, and I think part of it is becuase it's so sterotypical. However, while watching it last night, I decided that Tyler Perry writes his scripts (or at least this one) as if they are morality plays: telling all of the people of the world how to act. And while not as complex as originally morality plays were, it still had the basic understanding of if you are good and virtuous you will thrive and if you are not, you will eventually fall. And while this is a nice message, I don't think it is necessairly the truth in any sense, especially not in the world today.

But, if you were thinking about starting How I Met Your Mother. I think you should.

2 comments:

The Grand Duchy said...

oh man i totally wanted to see the family that preys because the cast is good. but now i may have to take it off of my queue.

Lexie said...

i LOVED tyler perry's why did i get married, but i agree, the stereotypes are super lame.