Thursday, April 2, 2009

You can stand under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh eh eh

Today I was working a Report Card Pick Up Day for a High School. We give out information about the clinic and freebies such as toohthbrushes, floss and candy. For one thing, I don't GET report card pick up day. Like, it doesn't make any sense to me at all. In high school, they just sent us our report cards. What does making the parents come to pick it up change? I guess it takes out the possibility that the kid will run home and hide the report card from their parents, but seriously. It's actually a wasted day of school.

Since I sound like an old lady already, I'm going to go into my day's rant. At this high school, one of the extracurricular activities is belly dancing. And they wear the belly dancing outfits-like this- in the school. On report card pick up day. And perform in every area.
Uh WHAT?

Now, I guess I don't really have a problem with belly dancing. In fact, I don't. It's a form of dancing, and I personally think everyone should try every form of dancing ever because it's good for you and it's fun and it's a way to express yourself. However, I'm not entirely positive that belly dancing is a good fit for high school. For one thing, apparently it's "optional" on if you wear a sheer leotard underneath your costume, so there were girls running around with their stomachs bare. And it's not like I'm a prude, I've worn some pretty outrageous stuff (see Pimps and Hos 2005) I just think there is a time and a place for these things. And I'm not positive that a high school is the correct venue for belly dancing. For one thing, I'm not sure if it's ok to sexualize teenagers that early. I know they are sexualized, but pretty much while they were performing, parents (DADS) stopped to watch and so did male teachers. Not only does this feel like they are playing with fire, but they are also presenting these girls as something older and more mature than what they should be. Also, it's school. For one thing, with our dress codes in high school, we couldn't have even had those costumes and run around in them. Period, we would have gotten sent home or not been allowed to perform. They didn't even let the cheerleaders wear their skirts during school after my freshman year.
There were also teenage boys STARING at these girls like pieces of meat. If that didn't get them to go home and masturbate for hours, I'm not sure what would.
But, where are these children's parents? I know for a fact that my mom nor my dad would let me do belly dancing in high school, and if I whined about it enough, they'd speak to the coach/instructor and make them change the outfits because it wouldn't be deemed appropriate. I think I'm more shocked that there aren't parents in uproar about this but hey-I don't know the full story, I was just a visitor for a day.
Then, when they finished performing, I had to clap because it's rude not to. FML.

I don't know. This enraged me for some reason. Since I just did a rant, the Twilight one will have to be put on hold, but boy...it's gonna be a big one.

3 comments:

Married In Chicago said...

that is definitely weird. i agree. a bit lecherous. about two steps away from someone throwing dollar bills at them. gross.

The Grand Duchy said...

if they were belly dancing at this high school, i think that next year there will be a pole dancing club. and that will straight up be masturbation material for those high school boys.

i cannot wait for the twilight rant. i have yet to finish the series. and thats the way i like it. because more and more i feel like i h8 stephenie meyer. and not just because here name is spelled incorrectly.

Lexie said...

belly dancing is a bit inappropriate for high school, i agree! belly dancing just seems like a dance for the private sphere .. not the halls of a high school!

i read somewhere that nuns in catholic school taught shakira how to belly dance. but i 'm pretty sure she went to an all girls school, so i think that's different.