Thursday, September 3, 2009

I wore the time like a dress that year

Where to start? I haven't posted in awhile, not since my last library book was due. And guess what? It's still overdue. Lately, I haven't had the motivation to get up and go to the library, which is really ridiculous because it is not far away. In fact, it's a lot closer now that I'VE MOVED.

So I've moved to Wicker Park. I love our new apartment; it's smaller but cozier, and it finally feels like somewhere I want to live. Not to say that I didn't like my old apartment, because I did, but I didn't help make it the way it was. Kate and Molly had it set up the way they wanted at the beginning and I just moved in, but with this apartment, Molly and I put things where they needed to be, with help from Patrick. He was really a great help in the move and went above and beyond what I expected of him. It is very nice to have someone so wonderful in my life; I could never have asked for anything more. I know, kind of cheesy, but how I feel. And also, have you EVER heard me say anything of this sort? The answer to that is no, for sure.

Anyway, we moved (and aren't finished unpacking) and I started grad school. I was waiting until I finished my first week to give a thorough run-down of my classes and I feel like I have enough information now. I started having panic attacks last week before I officially went to any classes because I read the syllabus for one of them and it's just so intense, but I know I can do it. This is what I actually want to be doing, not just what I found interesting. Not that I'm knocking on psychology, because I love it, but I don't know if I ever actually saw myself as a therapist. Anyway, here are my classes:

The Exceptional Child: About Special Education, psychology and children. So far, I don't know how I feel about this. I just got the book in the mail today so I haven't read any of the chapters yet, but I can say that this class is interesting. The professor brings irish soda bread and candy during break for us for a snack, but I have difficulty paying attention in class. there are 50 plus students in the class, so it's kind of a big change. We do in class assignments in groups and he goes over every chapter in power points. It just seems a smidge easier than I would have thought. But I guess I can't complain.

Educational Psychology: I never took this class at Knox because it was kind of difficult to get into if you weren't an Ed major. It will be interesting, since it is covering my past school learning and my future school learning, so that's good. I'll learn a lot. It's an awkward online class, which I didn't really want to take. I've never taken an online class, and I can't see how I will learn anything without direct instruction from the teacher. So far, it's like "You read the chapter, then have a discussion on the discussion board." Uhm. I don't know, it just feels kind of like a jip, like I'm paying myself to teach me this subject. It's just sort of unsatisfactory for me.

Middle School Thought and Curriculum: WOW. This class' syllabus is the one that made me cry/panic. It's very intense, with a clinical portion where I have to go and observe for 15 hours in middle school. There's a lot of reading and I don't know, her syllabus is just very intense and in-depth on what teaching standards each subject we learn relates to. Already we have to read a bok by next week, which I am currently int he process of reading and I actually am really into it, so that's good. Within the first class, this professor had me 95% convinced that I want to teach middle school. No joke. I know I had mentioned it before and I was on the fence about it, but she has me very, very close. I have requested for observation to be placed in either a Spanish class or a Social Studies class, so those are the ones that I am most interested in. I don't know what she said to me, but I'm very excited about this class. At least if there is a lot of work, I can be dedicated to it in that I really enjoy the subject matter. I completed the homework for this class taht I have today last Friday. That's how excited I am about this class.

I don't really have anything else. The weeks are flying by. How is it already September? Feels like just yesterday it was January. Where did 2009 go?

2 comments:

Lexie said...

I LOVE MIDDLE SCHOOLERS. also 15 hours a week? or just within the semester? most knox ed classes require 25+ hours of observation.. it's difficult to schedule sometimes.

i want to see your new place!

and you didnt miss anything by not taking ed psych. DB is sooooooooooo by-the-book it's painful.

Rico said...

no, just within the semester. it's not that bad (15 is so much easier than anything else) but I think it's more awkward since I'm trying to find a daytime job/people in the class have actual jobs such as being actual teachers. So that's awkward. But yes, I love middle schoolers too.

And once my place is all together, I will take photos! And I will post them for you!