Friday, November 14, 2008

We all go to work

So. I love to commute. And when I say commute, I'm talking taking the metra-el-and bus deal, I'm not talking about getting stuck in traffic for two hours to drive 23 miles. No. That's not what I'm saying.
I'm saying that I love riding on trains. And, I have recently come to love riding buses too, which is strange. I know. But mainly, what I really love about commuting is the walking I have to do between these modes of transportation and my destination.
Take for instance, today. I took the metra and then I had to take the blue line to get to UIC. Not difficult. My walk down Michigan Avenue is always interesting, in that there are so many thoughts that run through my mind: Is it really this cold out? Should I buy a newspaper? Is that homeless man staring at me because I'm hot or because he wants to rip my purse out of my hand and see if there is a sandwich? Shit, my shoe is untied. Is it completely ridiculous to stop on Michigan Avenue to tie my shoes? Shit though. I should do it. GD, it's colder than I thought. Oh, hey hottie. Do you go to DePaul Law School? Do you want my number?

Things to that extent. (BTW, I did tie my shoes on Michigan, only to have the shoelaces come undone and have to stop on Jackson to tie them. I'm sure I looked like a right fool.)

Commuting gives you a certain comradere with strangers that you don't normally have. Everyone walking around has a destination, and at 8 o'clock in the morning that destination is either work or school. Plus, that's when the most people are out. Have you been on Jackson and Michigan after 8pm?
Shit's like the fucking desert. Except without the sand and stuff.

But I love walking and listening to music. It's like number three on the "Things Rico Likes to Do". Ok, it might be number 5. Shortly behind Eat, Watch Baseball, Drink Beer and Sleep. That actually is probably the correct order.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I LOVED commuting to my internship at UIC, except when it was 100 degrees outside, and except when after getting off the el I would have to wait 45 minutes for the #12 bus even though the day before I would have only waited for 5 minutes and I got to the stop at pretty much the exact same time every day.
Also, when I used to work in the Merchandise Mart, I loved my Metra rides because I always had the same conductor, Mr. Beal, and every morning I would fall asleep with my monthly pass in hand. One day when he came by I was actually awake and he just said "go back to sleep, kid." Also I had an alligator keychain and he said "No animals allowed on the train, Miss." I miss him.

p.s. i'm excited that i can just use my google name to login. clearly this is maddi.

Catie said...

Yeah driving commutes suck, except for that I get to listen to NPR on the weekdays and on the weekend I get to listen to this radio show called "Retrograde" which played me "The Killing Moon" this morning. I really appreciated that they did that.